Wednesday, April 15, 2015

What a Slump.

Some of you may have noticed (at least the 15 people that still visit this blog might have noticed) that I've been in a slump. Not a life slump, per se, but a reading and blogging slump. I haven't read a book since our book club book back in March, even though I have 10 checked out from the library, 5 borrowed from other teachers, and a $25 Barnes and Noble gift card burning a hole in my pocket.


Why do we get in slumps?

Honestly, it happens to me for a variety of reasons. My house is dirty. There are new things on Netflix. Life is busy. I have a million other things I SHOULD be doing.

But last week, I had the whole week off, and still didn't pick up one book. (I did, however, eat a lot of birthday cake and jelly beans.) I'm dying to get out of this slump, but when I look at the books on my shelf (books I was previously dying to read), nothing catches my attention.

I've been in a reading slump in that I haven't read anything since March, but I also haven't really found a book I've loved in a few months. I started my year off so strong with I'll Give You the Sun and the All Souls' Trilogy, but alas, I've hit an roadblock.

What am I going to do about it?

I have a few options.

  1. Read a best seller. At least I have concrete proof that The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins is good. Or at least not bad. Plus, it's our book club book this month, so I kinda have to read it before April 27th.
  2. Reread a favorite. Both my mother and cousin are rereading the Harry Potter series, and I'm quite jealous. It's always so hard to reread books as a blogger, because I want to be reading books that I can review, but hell, I need to get out of this book funk and Harry never steers me wrong.
  3. Latch onto a series. Normally, if the first book in a series is awesome, I'm dying to get my hands on the next few. The few last series that I attempted have been busts, but I'm going to get down to researching to find a new series I might love.
So give me some recommendations, folks. I need some good love stories, some suspense, some nitty gritty characters that I can fall in love with. Do you have any suggestions?

13 comments:

  1. Ughhh good luck with your slump! I feel like I've been in a mini one all of 2015. I haven't read so slow or so few books in years. I just read all of Gillian Flynn's books, which I read really fast... and then immediately went into a book hangover bc her books are pretty messed up. I also read The Hunger Games and The Raven Boys series and those seemed to make me a better reader/blogger... your theory about series seems to work for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten in quite a slump as well! I powered through so many books the first few months of 2015 and then started a really long one and lost momentum. Good luck with getting back in the groove. And happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a great suggestion! I fell in love with this book, and I think its sooooooooo good (and a really easy read!). "On the Island" by Tracey Gravis-Graves. Let me know if you try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sort of slumped right now. I'm buying books, but not reading them so much. I really enjoyed Just One Day by Gayle Foreman recently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an unused area of the house that my cat is currently dominating... Might have to brush off the fur and take over for a reading area! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Just One Day and Just One Year in February and I liked them.. just didn't LOVE them. That seems to be my MO with books lately.. lots of 3 stars but not a lot of 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read it last summer! We did a Book Club book swap and I ended up with that one. It was so much better than I was expecting (coming from a high school teacher's perspective, that plot line could have gotten really tricky).

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's exactly what happened to me! Since I read the All Souls Trilogy in February, I just haven't found a reading groove.


    And thanks for the happy birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gillian Flynn's books are insane. It's hard to find something to read after those, because my goodness, the crazy. I'm hoping to find a good solid series to start me back on the right track... I haven't heard of The Raven Boys, but I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally!! I never thought I'd like it as much as I did, but I think she did such a great job with the plot. Can't wait for the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Last year I was in a pretty big book slump and knew I had to fix it! I used to read CONSTANTLY. So I set a book goal for 2015 (50 books), picked up some newish books from my favorite authors and I've been on a roll ever since! So far I've read 11 books this year...which to some people is nothing, but I read kinda slow so it's a lot for me! Reading makes me happy, though :) I'm always reviewing books on my blog, so maybe checking out my "books" section might give you a few ideas on what to read next. Good luck!

    Natalie,
    http://natalie-patalie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate reading slumps too! I have a bazillion books on my Nook and just got approved for more on Netgalley, oi. I just get discouraged when I am halfway through a book and still can't get into it. Right now I am reading one and it's taken me like two weeks to get halfway yet I feel bad abandoning it. Right now I am actually reading stuff that I don't normally read that pertains to my life right now. For example, we are possibly taking over the family business and trying for a baby so I am reading business books and pregnancy books. Ha. I do recommend following this Goodreads user...she reads a billion books a week and I ALWAYS find great books because of her reviews. https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/22943325-maxine?ref=ru_lihp_up_rv_18_mclk-up2295504103

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hadn't heard there was a movie coming out!! Holy moly, now I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete